Thank you for wanting to volunteer your time for our community!
Did you know that United Way of Rockbridge only has one paid employee? Everyone else working at United Way of Rockbridge is a volunteer.
One of the most impactful ways to serve your community through United Way of Rockbridge is as a Community Reviewer. Community Reviewers help identify the needs in our community, and make funding recommendations each year.
- Help identify needs
- Review grant requests
- Review new program proposals
- Visit, interview, and assess the requesting organization
- Recommend funding amounts
Estimated time commitment
- 1-2 hours to review application
- 1-1.5 hours site visit in March
- 1 hour writing a report/preparing for presentation
- 15 minute presention to Allocations Committee in early April
Benefits of being a community reviewer
- Make an impact to your community by helping identify needs and direct funding
- Meet great people working to serve the community
- Gain awareness of how local nonprofits operate
- Practice your skills in communication and teamwork
United Way of Rockbridge Book Drive
In September to kick off our annual fundraising campaign, United Way of Rockbridge hosts a community book drive. We collect new and gently used books for young readers in our area, to encourage a love for reading.
Individuals can also help organize the book drive and book distribution! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- prepare flyers
- drop off and collect boxes
- ask businesses and schools to spread the word or volunteer to host a drop-off location
- help spread the word about the book drive
- help sort and distribute books
Businesses can volunteer to host a drop-off location for 2 weeks. Please email our Executive Director using our Contact Form.
Administrative Help and Special Projects
We're always looking for volunteers to help with occasional special projects, such as meet and greet events, kickoffs, etc.!
Have great artistic and marketing skills? You can volunteer to create graphic designs or help manage our social media!
Another way to volunteer is helping out at the office in adminstrative tasks about once or twice a week.
Board of Directors
To make a significant impact on our community, you can be a part of the decision making group of United Way of Rockbridge by serving on the all-volunteer Board of Directors. To learn more about the current board, click here.
Estimated Time Commitment - At minimum, Board members are expected to attend 2 hour monthly meetings and serve on 2 committees that meet for 1 hour monthly. However, to increase your contribution and impact for our community, you can choose to increase your level of involvement.
Benefits of being a Board member
- Make an impact in your community by overseeing United Way of Rockbridge decisions and operations
- Coordinate with great people working to serve the community
- Enjoy life knowing you have made a impact toward positive change
- Learn more about nonprofit operations
- Expand your network
Interested in joining the Board? Please contact our Executive Director Contact Form with your application.
Committees under the Board of Directors
Estimated Time Commitment - to serve on a specific committee, you are expected to attend the specific committee meetings (typically monthly). Apart from that, you can choose how much you want to contribute.
The board has a range of opportunities for you to serve your community.
- Organize and operate a systematic program of allocating funds raised in the annual United Way Campaign
- Evaluate agency budget requests in terms of community needs, analyze and evaluate the cost of programs, and devise and improve methods of evaluating program effectiveness
- Recommend to the Board of Directors allocations to prospective beneficiary agencies or services
- Recommend to the Board of Directors the adoption of the annual Campaign Goal
- Serve throughout the year, as needed, for the purpose of reviewing allocations to the agencies and to evaluate and revise the Fund Distribution policies and procedures
- Organize, prepare and conduct the annual campaign
- Report to the Board of Directors on the progress of achieving the annual campaign goal and at the conclusion of the event
- Oversight of financial transactions
- Review and approval of monthly financial statements
- Development of financial operational guidelines
- Recommend to the Board of Directors an annual budget for the organization
- Present United Way’s image to the public
- Build relationships in and with the community
- Communicate the impact United Way’s work has in and on the community
- Educate the public about philanthropy and ways to engage in thoughtful charitable giving
- Work through the media and personal contacts to meet these aims
Interested in joining a committee? Please contact our Executive Director via our Contact Form.
Volunteering at the local agencies
For more volunteer information, please contact email@example.com or fill out a “Contact Us” form. Our funded agencies also seek volunteers! Read about our agencies under the “Your Work” tab. Like us on Facebook and spread the word about our work!