The Fund Distribution process allocates the net proceeds from the annual United Way of Rockbridge campaign to maximize the resources available to local agencies by addressing the health, welfare, social service needs and childhood education in Buena Vista, Lexington and Rockbridge County.
The UWR goal is to assist agencies that serve to support our residents, as well as agencies that have programs and projects related to the UWR community impact initiative of strengthening education, beginning with early childhood.
The Allocations Committee, with the assistance of Community Reviewers, is responsible for reviewing all programs and grant requests during the fund distribution process. The Committee consists of three Board members and two Community Volunteers. The United Way President, and Executive Director are ex officio members. Committee members may serve no more than three consecutive years. All actions of this committee are subject to approval by the United Way Board of Directors.
Approximate Allocations Timeline (subject to change)
- Late January - Request for proposals is announced publicly
- Late February - Funding applications are due from agencies
- Throughout March - Community Volunteers review applications, visit program sites, and interview agency representatives
- Early April - Community Volunteers present and make funding recommendations to the Allocations Committee. The Allocations Committee evaluates recommendations and determines grant awards.
- Early May - The UWR Board of Directors reviews the Allocation Committee decisions and funding allocations are announced!
Application Help and Forms
Agencies are encouraged to strengthen applications by demonstrating efforts and submitting programs that support early childhood development and the support of ALICE (Asset-Limited, Income-Constrained, Employed) households within our community. Upon receipt of application, volunteer UWR Community Reviewers visit each agency for one-on-one information gathering. This strengthens the application process and allows Community Reviewers to make enhanced recommendations to the Allocations Committee.
For UWR Funding Applicants - Download application forms here:
To request paper application documents please utilize our Contact Form or call (540) 463-4482.