Meeting the most critical human needs requires collective action. So, United Way of Rockbridge brings together citizens, community leaders, business, the faith community, government, non-profit organizations and other institutions to support our community. Through United Way of Rockbridge, your gift supports local agencies and programs that would not otherwise exist.
United Way of Rockbridge engages community reviewers to identify community needs. In order to recommend a funding amount, each year our Community reviewers visit local agencies, review their proposed programs, inspect their financial information, and determine their impact in the community . Upon recommendation by the reviewer, the UWR Board then reviews and approves the decisions. The Executive Director leads fundraising efforts and distributes the funds under the oversight of the Board. Learn more about the current Board members here and learn more about how to become a community reviewer here.
Allocations by Funding Amount
Allocation percentages are determined by the funding amount approved for agencies in each impact area.
Funds raised in the 2020-2021 campaign is distributed to agencies for spending in 2021-2022.
Annual Goal - $250,000
2020-2021 Gross Amount Raised - $271,000
- 2020-2021 Agency Allocations - $181,700
2018-2019 Gross Amount Raised - $264,604
- 2018-2019 Agency Allocations - $219,108
Additional Special Grants
Because of the generous Ellen Charske Bequest, UWR has been able to grant these additional one-time only funding requests above and beyond the annual allocations we provide to local agencies for programs.
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association - $18,000 toward the purchase of a new truck
- Boxerwood Education Association - $18,000 toward the completion of a new lodge roof
- Blue Ridge CASA for Children - $4,000 to provide a Child Trauma-Informed Court System Program
- Yellow Brick Road Early Learning Center - $25,000 to purchase outdoor play materials and equipment to enhance outdoor learning experiences
- Blue Ridge Legal Services - $5,000 to provide for a temporary increase in staff due to the effects of COVID19 on the court systems
- Rockbridge Area Community Services - $5,000 to purchase evacuation stretchers for each of their four residential group homes in the area
- Project Horizon - $3,000 to make critical roof repairs
- Skyline Girl Scouts - $2,000 to provide scholarships for girls to participate in Rockbridge area Girl Scout troops
- Annual Report 2018-19 - View for descriptions of how your gift supported the community through United Way of Rockbridge
- Financial Review 2018-19 - View for detailed financial statements, amount of grants to agencies and programs, breakdowns of expenses, and more
- United Way 990 2018-19 - View the IRS' primary tool for gathering information about tax-exempt organizations, educating organizations about tax law requirements and promoting compliance.