United Way of Rockbridge's Work
Financial empowerment starts with access to services. United Way of Rockbridge funds the following agencies that have a focus on providing a safety net in their programs:
- The Community Table
The Community Table of Rockbridge (TCT) is a place where food insecure households can come to enjoy a high-quality, nutritious meal, in a dignified dining environment. No one is ever billed for TCT services. TCT has experienced a steady increase in the number of younger children who have been attending meals, particularly the lunches. This affords the opportunity to introduce children to new and different foods and tastes and provides them with the social etiquette and skills to be confident in the Cafeteria and dining setting of school.
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry
- The NB/Glasgow Food Pantry is a non-profit solely volunteer organization which provides food assistance to qualifying individuals and households in Southern Rockbridge County communities. In 2017, Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry served an average of 310 households per month.
- Rockbridge Area Health Center
- Wellness Initiative - Rockbridge Area Health Center provides school-based dental services (as part of the In-School Dental Program), depression screening, weight assessment and counseling for nutrition and physical activity of children, childhood immunizations, free prenatal classes, and obstetrics services.
- In 2016, United Way of Rockbridge funding provided school-based oral health services through a program called HORSES (Health, Oral Care, Reduction in Cavities, School-Based Setting, Evaluations, and Sealants) to preschools, Headstart programs, and public schools with parental consent. 1056 children received dental sealants and fluoride; 689 children received additional oral health services; a total of 32 site visits to area schools were provided.
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association
- Food Pantry and HelpLine Program - The Food Pantry provides relief services to Rockbridge area low-income residents that are living at 200% of poverty level or below. The food pantry is open 4 days per week and serves more than 600 families a month. The HelpLine program provides financial assistance with utilities, heating fuel, rent, shelter, and transportation to those who qualify.
- Rockbridge Area Transportation System
Rockbridge Area Transportation System provides non-emergency, demand-response, door-to-door transportation service for wheelchair and ambulatory riders. In 2017, Rockbridge Area Transportation System provided 24091 total trips, mostly for medical services. Fares: 100% cost or 60% cost. Most of their clients are eligible for the lowest fare rate (60%). They are the area’s only public wheelchair transportation.
Washington and Lee School of Law Tax Clinic provides guidance in tax preparation, and they are able to assist with post-filing controversies. Contact the School of Law Tax Clinic at 540-458-8918 or email them at email@example.com.